May Favourites

01:16:00

So as I decided to return as the start of a new month I figured a May Favourites would be a good re-starter. May was a craaaaaay month for me. ALL of my college assignments were due this month which meant MAJOR stress. But I also ran away from home for a week to Sligo and went to see my favourites Amber Run play their first Irish gig every in Belfast. Apart from a few massive hiccups it was a good month. Here's what has made it into my May Favourites.


BEAUTY


I'll start with beauty but as I was quite busy and trying to econemise for travel expenses I didn't have the opportunity to buy much new make up. But these are what I've enjoyed using this May:

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder -

I strayed from this powder for a  while as it simply stopped lasting and stopped its mattifying effect on my skin last December. But my skin had become less oily so I decided to retry it and so far it's doing its job. What can I say? It's a powder and my oily skin hasn't looked as oily since I began using this again.

Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Lip Sine Lacquer in Charm Offensive

I'd been looking for a natural my lips but better colour for so long and a few weeks ago as I was routing around my make up box for an old eye shadow palete I found this beauty. I find its doughfoot applicator a little difficult to use the gloss / lacquer itself is quite difficult to apply. I just use my lip brush to apply it works a charm. The colour and pigmentation is gorgeous and lasts a decent length of time. My only qualm with this gloss is that it can be quite sticky but only when applied to thickly. It takes a bit of time to apply but if done correctly this gloss has a wonderful colour pay off that will last an afternoon.


Music


I've listened to so much music this month. Some brand new, fresh tunes and listening to some older gems I had yet to discover.

Everlong - Foo Fighters

I should probably say Foo Fighters Greatest Hits Album rather than this song alone but this is the one song that I keep coming back to. GOOD LORD WHAT AN ANTHEM. I can't believe I hadn't heard it until last month. I had always shied away from Foo Fighters purely because the few songs I had heard of theirs I didn't like. But once I dipped my toe last month I dived head first into Foo Fighters.






Heartbeat - Childish Gambino

It was announced just days ago that the multi-talented Donald Glover would be leaving his music career. No more Childish Gambino just as I began to fall for him. His insanely clever lyricism never fails to amaze me. This song has been stuck in my head since I initially heard it and it's a universally appealing song. Listen. Adore. Repeat.






Novels - Rusty Clanton

I first discovered Dodie when she supported
Everyone knows I have a weakness for acoustic love songs. I have never once in my life heard a song so beautifully written. I refuse to write about this wonder of a song as I won't do it justice. Please just check this out at the link above.









She - Dodie Clarke
I first discovered Dodie when she supported
BriBry O'Reily on tour in Belfast. This was part of her performance and it was the song that made me stand back and just listen, eyes fixed on a tiny girl with an even tinier guitar playing a song about issues bigger than either of us. 









5AM - Amber Run
This album. THIS ALBUM. I have adored this five piece from Nottingham for well over a year and good lord when I witnessed them perform this album I genuinely didn't believe I could ever see a better live band. The album contains the ecstatic highs of Spark and Pilot as well as the heartbreaking lows of love songs like Shiver. I will talk more about this album and the gig in a later post but for now this album is by far my favourite thing I discovered last month.


Fashion - 


Once again the majority of my money went on running away from home and music this month so very very little was spent on new clothes but I fell in love with two items I already owned this month.

Black Doc Marten Dupes - River Island



I cannot afford Doc Martens. At 18 years old I can't allow myself to spend such an  exorbitant amount of money on shoes, as much as I may love them. However, much to my delight, shops such as River Island and Topshop began to sell much more affordable dupes of these boots and I snapped them up as soon as I could. I chose River Islands alternative over Topshops as I simply prefered the shinier finish over the matte. I practically wear them with every skirt I wore in May. They are perfect for warmth, comfort and durability. Their slight platform also make me slightly taller which is always a bonus. Unfortunately River Island appears to have cancelled these boots, although I can't fathom why. Amazing quality and amazing value. What more could you want?



Daisy Print Summer Dress - Topshop

I bought this dress this time last year coming into summer. Unfortunately last year I hadn't the confidence to wear the low and square neckline in public too often. But thankfully this year I have discovered I am a wonderful young woman who should hide behind over sized jumped. This dress is the PERFECT summer dress. Not only for it's print but for its light and airy material. You won't over heat in this dress which isn't much of a perk when you live in Ireland. My absolute favourite thing about this dress is how it does the thing when you twirl around. It rises and spins and makes me feel like I'm six years old playing dizzy-dizzy-dinosaurs at break time. Only I'm 18 and a bit too much of my pale flat check is on show.


Films & TV Shows - 


Parks and Recreation - 

This show will have you laughing every other minute. Leslie Knope is a kind hearted protagonist of this american reality show styles comedy. Amy Poehler can't put a foot wrong with me and this show has just backed up my believes. Chris Pratt plays a rather intellectually challenged Andy who absolutely warms my heart. This is the perfect sit, watch and not think too much show. 

Her - 

I will very very very rarely be so touched by a film that it will stay with me for more than a day, let alone make it into a monthly favourites. I usually tire of movies longer than 90 mins and fall asleep on whomever I'm watching it with. But this movie made me feel things I didn't know I could and become understanding of something that doesn't exist yet. The film tells the story of a man who is going through a divorce with a childhood sweet heart who falls in love with his OS. Usually movies which portray an eccentric and none human x human relationship I stray from. But this movie, directed my Spike Jonze, opened my eyes to a new kind of love. A fulfilling, exhilarating and wholesome love not only helps you find the love of your life, but help you find who you really are and helps you to accept that you need to go through hardships to be truly happy. I never in a million years thought it would be a film about a man falling in love with his computer which taught me the most about love but here you go. A real and true love isn't all about the physical. Check this movie out. 

That is my entire favourites for the month of May. Hope you enjoyed reading and keep checking back for more posts. Thanks for reading. :)

Be sure to follow me on social media too

Twitter

Tumblr

Facebook

Instagram





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe