Favourite Covers

21:00:00

One of my biggest pet peeves is when one of my favourite songs is covered by a singer or a band or worse yet, is parodied (gaaahhh no no no, I can't even begin to explain how much that gets to me ew no). For the most part the band doing the covering don't do the original song justice. However, there is no better feeling in the world than when you hear one of your favourite artists cover one of your favourite songs to perfection. Now I have many many favourite bands and singers and even more favourite songs (my current "faves" playlist is 152 songs long and takes 9 hours and 54 minutes to listen to) so you'd think the chances of one covering another would be quite likely but what with the infinite number of songs and bands that are in the world they are very few and far between. This post is going to be a list of the covers that I have fallen in love with because I feel the world (or my 5 followers) needs to hear some good covers.

I have already said in a previous post that Kodaline are one of my all time top 3 favourite bands and Latch by Disclosure took over my life for about 3 weeks when I first heard it last summer so this cover was right down my street. Kodaline not only do this song justice but also help to reveal the tenderness of the lyrics which was once hidden behind electronic dance music. Despite the fact that they make a lyric mistake in the middle, this is one of the best covers I have ever heard and their addition of the momentous oh's (very descriptive and well written Ang) from All I Want make this a heart felt love song which will make anyone stop and just listen to the sheer emotion of the song. 

This classic by Elvis was covered by an artist I have liked for quite some time, Ingrid Michaelson (check out You and I). Who doesn't like a good lovey dovey song? This cover is simply beautiful and her gentle voice and simple piano accompaniment create the perfect stripped back love song that will be used over and over again for lovers to take as "their song". This is the kind of cover you fall in love to and will be the soundtrack to many relationships. I can't write enough about how beautiful this song is and the only way you'll truly hear this is if you listen to it. 

Both Say My Name by Destiny's Child and Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake are classics in their own right so bringing them together was guaranteed to make an excellent mash up. The Neighbourhood are a band who one of my best friends loves and this song was recommended by her (this is the same friend who I went along side to see Kodaline and the Arctic Monkeys live so I thoroughly trust her music taste). This song immediately went into my "faves" playlist and has been listened to on loop for weeks on end. The Neighbourhood make songs that, for lack of a better phrase, make you think of sex and all things related, so this mash up is a sultry, sway your hips anthem that will stay in your head for quite some time. 

Sex is not only one of my favourite songs of all time but The 1975 is one of my ultimate favourite bands ever. Sex is in my top 25 most played songs so any cover of this would have to be incredible for me to even continue listening after 5 seconds and this definitely kept me listening. Luke Friend was my favourite contestant on the X Factor in 2013 and I'm excited to hear new music from him soon. His raspy voice and acoustic guitar bring a completely new element to this song and the addition of subtle lyric changes make this a beautiful song about sex and indecision which was hiding behind electric guitars and indierock-esque sounds. 


The original song So Good To Me by Chris Malinchak was one that engrossed me and intrigued me. I had never been a massive fan of dance or house music but this really enticed me so I listened to it on repeat for days. The mellow sounds and lyrics were so soothing that I simply couldn't resist this song. I'm not sure if I have mentioned this in previous posts but I am one of the biggest fans of The 1975. If you visit my tumblr you won't have to scroll long before you see a picture of Matty Healy or any other member of the band, so when I first heard this cover live from the Radio One Live Lounge I couldn't believe I had gotten so lucky. Matty's voice suits this song perfectly and the lyrics really suit the 1975's style. This entire piece of music, with its 80's-esque keyboard accompaniment and soulfully quiet electric guitar instrumentals here and there, comes together beautifully and compliments Matty's voice so well. Absolutely incredible cover that I insist you check out. 



So they are my 5 favourite covers and I urge anyone reading this to immediately check them out because, for me at least, they are all impeccable and either do the original song justice or make the song unique. Thanks for reading and be sure to check back for new posts! :) Thank You!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe