Life Is Better With A Filter

19:21:00

If you haven't been able to tell already, I'm an over thinker. But I'm also quite the romanticiser. By that I mean I like to romanticise every day things. Events, people and activities are all looked at through rose tinted glasses. However the past few months have been a bit rough in and for my head. No big event has occurred to trigger a sudden drop in mood, I've just been feeling a little overwhelmed. Hence my memories of the past while haven't been the fondest. Until a few days ago I thought I hadn't seen or done anything since November. I felt like I'd been holed up in my room for five months with nothing to show for it apart from a few bruises. That was until I re-discovered an old editing app a few days ago. I bought it for £1.59 back in the day when I actually edited my Intagram photos.

On a boring Monday evening I looked through my photo library for anything to edit. To my surprise I found a plethora of photo's I'd completely overlooked due to how drunk/bad I looked in them. "Perfect for a little edit" I thought. An hour later I was still sifting through photos that showed I actually did do something and I wasn't a recluse for the best part of a year. I had over looked these photo's either cos I knew what was going on in my head at the time they were taken or cos I just looked shit. But why should I do that?

Looking at things through rose tinted glasses is often frowned upon or looked at as childish because to an extent you're kidding yourself about what life was actually like. But if what's happened has happened why shouldn't I look back on a photo of my boyfriend and I with fondness. I might remember that when camera's were off I was having serious doubts about our relationship but now those doubts are diminished. Why shouldn't I look back on memories with a smile and a happy heart?

Life is tough. I may only be 19 but I already know how life can just eat you up and spit you back out again. With so much negativity in the world you have the duty of looking back on memories through rose tinted glasses. Put a positive spin on whatever was happening.
Forget the fights, the doubts and the anxieties. 
Remember the late night conversations and the drunken piggy backs. Chose to forget burning your tongue on your coffee and remember holding hands under the table and feeling safe. Remember what it felt like to laugh so hard your tummy hurt and forget the upset tummy all the chocolate gave you.






Photo backstory:

Top Left: I got so drunk that night that vomited into a basin from 12am until 3am at which point I blacked out.
Top Right: He had drank so much because we had a massive fight that he had to go home at 10pm after almost throwing up in a taxi.
Bottom Left: I was so anxious about going out I told my boyfriend I couldn't until 2 hours before.
Bottom Right: That day I had told my friends for the first time that I had given up on writing and decided to study business and the reactions I got had upset me so much I had to redo my make up twice before going out. 

Thanks for reading! I'll hopefully be back more frequently. Let me know what you think! 


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nice post ^.^

    xx

    www.caetera-moda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a sin to romanticise-if it were we wouldn't have half the beautiful works of art and literature we do! It sounds to me here though more as if you are simply choosing to focus on and celebrate the good whilst also acknowledging the not so ideal, as opposed to truly romanticising events. This is a fabulous life skill that we should all seek to cultivate. I only wish I had it down myself! 😅

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe